tissue storage/mRNA

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Wed Aug 11 19:12:24 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug10.195133.7624 at alw.nih.gov> don at helix.nih.gov (donald seto)
writes:
>what is the best way to store human tissue for extracting mRNA a year from
>now?
>i just popped it into liquid nitrogen...but am wondering shether there is
>another preferred way of storing it.
>
>don at helix.nih.gov
>
>--
>                         don at helix.nih.gov
>301-402-0580   Bldg10/Rm8D14    NIDDK/NIH       Bethesda, MD  20892

Our brain bank stores human brain samples in a frozen powder-- the tissue is
rapidly dissected, frozed in liquid nitrogen, then powdered while still frozen
(with a sledge hammer or in a mortar and pestle) and then stored in
polypropylene tubes at -80 celsius.  For RNA extraction, then all you need is
to weigh out the amount of powder you want, then throw it into your extraction
buffer.  This gives very good quality yield of mRNA and conserves precious
tissue.  It also makes it easier to find the tissue again a year later because
you can keep all the tubes in one rack (small packages of tissues have a knack
of disappering while getting shifted around in our freezer).

Rae Nishi
ohsu
Portland OR