Formamide extraction of lambda?

Helgi Briem Magnusson hbriem at rhi.hi.is
Fri Aug 13 09:37:37 EST 1993

After running a lambda lysate on a CsCl gradient I was about
to extract the DNA using our usual method, dialysis,
3x phenol and chloroform extractions and dialysis again,
when I came across an alternate protocol in Ausubel's Red Book
section 1.13.3.  This involves adding very strong Tris/EDTA and
formamide, letting it sit for half an hour, then adding EtOH,
quick spin and wash with 70% EtOH.  This method seems so easy
that I figure there must be a catch to it.  Has anyone out
there tried this formamide protocol and are they happy with it?
Are there any problems with it?  How about yield?

Helgi Briem
Inst. of Exp. Path.
Keldur, Iceland