Phosphor Imager information needed

Jonathan B. Marder MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
Sun Aug 15 18:56:25 EST 1993

Dear Colleagues,
  We are planning to acquire a PhosphorImaging system for analysing
radioactive gels etc. which will serve several research groups on this
campus.  It seems that systems are available from:-

Molecular Dynamics
Fuji
Biorad

I remember some discussion on this a while back, but can't find the info. we
are looking for.  If you use one of these systems, I would like to hear from
you.  We are concerned about several issues, particularly the data processing
software and how to make it available to a multi-user community.  Perhaps you
could spend a few moments to describe your setup e.g. by answering one or more
of the following questions:-

1.  Which system do you use?
2.  Which isotopes do you detect?
3.  Do you use the system for detecting luminescence (Biorad option)?
4.  What is the host computer and operating system?
5.  Do you (or can you) login to the host from a remote terminal?
6.  Can you download the data to a remote computer?
7.  Do you have the data-analysis programs loaded on a remote computer?
    If so, did you need to buy extra copies of the software?
8.  Do you have the programs on a network server (e.g. Novell) and then run
    them on a remote computer? Did you need a special software license?
9.  How would you rate the software for handling the images i.e. annotations,
    adjusting contrast, other manipulations?  Can you easily process the
    images into various standard formats e.g. GIF, JPEG, etc.?  Do you use
    additional (e.g.) public-domain software as well, instead?
10. Can you easily incorporate images and/or data into documents (e.g.
    under MacIntosh or MS-Windows environment.
11. How do you produce hard copies of the images, and are they "publication
    quality?
12. How would you rate the data analysis software (i.e.
    quantification)?    Can you easily move the raw or processed data into
    Lotus, Excel or similar?

I would appreciate also any other impressions, comments that you may think
relevent.

Thanks very much for your time.
__
Jonathan B. Marder                 '
Department of Agricultural Botany  |     Internet: MARDER at AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem | /\/ Bitnet:   MARDER at HUJIAGRI