automated DNA extraction

John H McDonald mcdonald at ravel.udel.edu
Mon Aug 16 09:41:18 EST 1993

In article <01H1T0KDQWR6000EBR at GW.AGR.CA> EM609MBCPHL at NCCCOT7.AGR.CA writes:
>Hi
>Does anyone know anything about automatic DNA extraction machines?
>I'm planning a big pile of insect DNA preps for RAPD and I wonder if they
>would be useful.
>I understand that Applied Biosystems makes one. Does anyone have an address?
>Thanks a lot
>Pat Covello
>Central Plant Health Lab
>Agriculture Canada

Applied Biosystems is at 850 LIncoln Center Drive, Foster City, Calif.
94404, phone (800) 345-5224, (415) 570-6667, fax (415) 572-2743.  I saw
one of their automated DNA extractors about a year ago, and as I remember
it took an hour or two to do eight extractions.  All it would do is the
phenol and chloroform extractions, you would have to prepare the tissue
beforehand, and do the precipitation and wash steps afterwards.  In other
words, it was a complete joke.  The popular methods for doing hundreds of
PCR-quality DNA preps seem to be:
1) Squash small piece of bug in PCR reaction tube.  Do PCR.
2) Squash small piece of bug in microcentrifuge tube with some water.
Centrifuge for a few minutes.  Use a small amount of supernatant for PCR.
3) Squash small piece of bug in tube with some water and Chelex resin,
available from Biorad, whose phone number I don't have handy.  Boil for a
few minutes.  Centrifuge.  Use supernatant for PCR.