Formamide extraction of lambda?

mschmid MSCHMID at watson.princeton.edu
Mon Aug 16 09:42:44 EST 1993

In <7495 at krafla.rhi.hi.is> hbriem at rhi.hi.is writes:

> After running a lambda lysate on a CsCl gradient I was about
> to extract the DNA using our usual method, dialysis,
> 3x phenol and chloroform extractions and dialysis again,
> when I came across an alternate protocol in Ausubel's Red Book
> section 1.13.3.  This involves adding very strong Tris/EDTA and
> formamide, letting it sit for half an hour, then adding EtOH,
> quick spin and wash with 70% EtOH....
>
> Helgi Briem
> Inst. of Exp. Path.
> Keldur, Iceland

This protocol sounds like the one used by Ron Davis in the Advanced
Bacterial Genetics course, 1980.  (See ABG Manual, CSH Press, 1980, p106).

I have used it several times, it worked, and was as easy as it sounds, but
don't have enough experience with it to know whether there are any problems.
I never tried to sequence nor clone with this DNA - we were just making DNA
standards.