USB & Amersham in Canada: Update

Peter T. Boag BOAGP at QUCDN.QueensU.CA
Wed Aug 18 12:49:05 EST 1993

A few weeks ago I contributed to a thread on the fact that Amersham's
acquisition of USB had caused SEQUENASE prices to sky-rocket for
Canadian users. The discussions that followed obviously had a big
impact on USB and Amersham Canada, and I thought it would be worth
updating the net on the current situation.

The bottomline is that USB and Amersham Canada are both keen to
improve their competitive position. For most university users it
should be possible to negotiate 25%-30% discounts from LIST of
Sequenase components. The discounting is not as simple as I
would like; it is a complicated mix of number of items on a PO,
purchase volume, including isotope on the same PO number,
participation in special credit programs etc., etc.. And they
still insist on a shipping charge unless you go for a standing order
etc. Companies such as Promega, Pharmacia, BRL have much simpler
price structures, and free shipping via BIOBAR on-campus
sourcing etc. But we can now get Sequenase again for close to what we used
to pay for US orders. My thanks to Thomas Mann (USB) and Didier Plaat and
Roger Touma (Amersham Canada) for their considerable efforts to rectify
the problems caused by this change in ownership of USB.