good 5 base cutters for genomic southerns

James B. Hutchins jbh at anat.UMSMED.EDU
Wed Aug 18 19:35:16 EST 1993

In article <1993Aug18.204951.5141 at>
vam2 at writes:
[stuff deleted]
>Lastly, I'm noticing that leeches are extremely hard to grind up when I'm
>making genomic DNA.  They don't homogenize very well in my 'tissuemizer'.
>Any suggestions?

Haven't tried this on leeches :-* but it may work...

Wrap tissue in foil, freeze by immersion in liquid nitrogen.  Store at
-80 deg C indefinitely.  Pulverize in precooled mortar and pestle, then
scoop powder/goo into a container and add extraction buffer.  Further
processing with the 'Tissuemizer' may be necessary but will be *much*

Hope this helps.

Jim Hutchins                    []     E-Mail: jbh at
Asst Prof of Anatomy            []     Asst Prof of Neurology
Univ Mississippi Med Ctr        []     Jackson, MS