good 5 base cutters for genomic southerns

viraj anupum master vam2 at quads.uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 18 15:49:51 EST 1993

Hello BioNetters,

I have read this newsgroup for some time and gotten some great ideas
which have worked well for me.  I'd like to ask a question now and
promise to post a summary of replies to the net.

I'm studying a homebox gene in leeches and I have reason to believe
there are other closely related homologs to it clustered very
closely together on the genome (ie in another species, 4 of these
genes are clustered on a 6kb stretch of the genome).  I'd like to use
a conserved probe and perform genomic southerns to confirm whether this
organization is true for my organism.

Since these genes are possibly very close to each other, I would like
to use 5 base cutters which should cut every 1024bp.

Does anyone have any experience using 5base cutters to cut genomic DNA
to completion?  I would very much appreciate hearing your reccomendations.

Lastly, I'm noticing that leeches are extremely hard to grind up when I'm
making genomic DNA.  They don't homogenize very well in my 'tissuemizer'.
Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Viraj Master
Dept. Organsimal Biology