HELP, problem with forensic sample

ww40 William_D_WARREN at UMAIL.UMD.EDU
Thu Aug 19 10:17:00 EST 1993

>We have a problem with a forensic case.  We have a crucial bloodstain
>on a pair of blue trousers from which are trying to get an RFLP DNA profile.
details deleted
>1) What is the background material likely to be (what else glows with ethidium
>??) and how can we get rid of it?

This may seem obvious but alot of the laundry detergents contain additives
that are order to generate that "whiter than white"
look. Have you looked at your the material obtained from the non-stained
cloth under UV without EtBr ??? My guess is it would probably glow all on
it's own. How to get rid of it ??? Well frankly I have no idea but if you
can figure out what the compound is likely to be then that will help. Maybe
you could find out what brand of detergent they used to launder the jeans
with ?? Just a thought.

Good luck

William D. WARREN, PhD
Center for Agricultural Biotechnology     Email: ww40 at
University of Maryland at College Park    Phone: (301) 405-7681