RE*Re*Reference Databases

nishir at ohsu.edu nishir at ohsu.edu
Thu Aug 19 18:23:45 EST 1993

>HELLO NETTERS
>    What about the a good database program for the Mac?  Any suggestions?
>Something that doesn't cost an arm and a leg!  I hate to admit it but I am
>a bit behind in using a data base for organizing my references.
>Dan Gietz
>______________________________________
>R.Daniel Gietz Ph.D.
>Assistant Professor
>Department of Human Genetics
>University of Manitoba
>770 Bannatyne Ave, Rm 250
>Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
>R3E 0W3
>Tel.: (204)789-3458
>Fax.: (204)786-8712
>E-mail GIETZ at BLDGHSC.LAN1.UMANITOBA.CA
>"Trying to do the Manitoba Thing"
>_______________________________________

We have used EndNote Plus together with Endlink for Macs for quite awhile and
are very pleased with it.  You can create separate libraries of references, and
each "library" can hold up to 32,000 references. It is *very* reasonably priced
(about $200), fast at searching, can download references directly from an
online database such as Medline or from a disk update system, and (best of all)
inserts citations and formats bibliographies directly in your manuscripts for
you in whatever format you choose (especially useful for journals that want
citations numbered consecutively according to alphabetical order of authors).
My postdoc was especially astonished when he watched me insert citations,
format, and create the bibliography for my NIH grant within a couple of hours.
If you're interested, contact Niles Associates, Inc., 2000 Hearst St., Berkeley
CA 94709. (510) 655-6666.  I have no association whatsoever with this company
other than being a pleased customer.

Rae Nishi
Cell Biology & Anatomy
OHSU