Silver staining DNA

dkim at unm.edu dkim at unm.edu
Fri Aug 20 13:46:54 EST 1993

I am trying to use the "Differential Display PCR" method to isolate RNA
sequences that are differentially expressed in plants under stress.  I have
been reading about this method, and have had some advice from another graduate
student who does this method himself in mammalian cell samples.

I looked up a paper in Bio/Technology that described an arbitratrily primed
DNA polymorphism test using the PCR.  This citation was in the Perkin-Elmer
PCR catalog under the heading "RAPD".  I was surprised to see that the
detection was done by a silver staining technique instead of autoradiography.

Has anyone tried silver staining of DNA in PAGE?  does it work?
Daniel Kim