Gopher

GRGGTA at uk.AC.MANCHESTER.CHRISTIE-HOSPITAL.PATERSON GRGGTA at uk.AC.MANCHESTER.CHRISTIE-HOSPITAL.PATERSON
Fri Aug 20 03:52:00 EST 1993

A couple of weeks ago I asked for information & help on getting access to
a gopher. Several people responded offering a lot of help. Thanks to you
all I should soon get access to one.
The computer dept here has suggested that it should be available on the
VAX if enough people here would be interested in using it. My question thus
is what information is available that has direct relevance to the (cancer-
related) biological sciences which is not already available via Email servers
and the GCG package, both of which are available for use here already?
My main ideas are to get direct access to the ATCC catalogues ( with presumably
up-to-the-minute entries and direct ordering as chief advantages over the
paper and disc catalogues) and to use it as a very user friendly system for
accessing any other useful databases.
Are gophers just "netters toys" or are they tools for science?
Thanks
Graham Atherton

GRGGTA at UK.AC.MAN.CR.PICR