Gopher

Dan Jacobson danj at welchdev.welch.jhu.edu
Fri Aug 20 16:59:06 EST 1993

Graham Atherton writes:

>The computer dept here has suggested that it should be available on the
>VAX if enough people here would be interested in using it. My question thus
>is what information is available that has direct relevance to the (cancer-
>related) biological sciences which is not already available via Email servers
>and the GCG package, both of which are available for use here already?
>My main ideas are to get direct access to the ATCC catalogues ( with presumably
>up-to-the-minute entries and direct ordering as chief advantages over the
>paper and disc catalogues) and to use it as a very user friendly system for
>accessing any other useful databases.
>Are gophers just "netters toys" or are they tools for science?

I would submit that gopher has become an important research tool
for biologists.  There is *lots* of relevant information for the
biological sciences on gopher which is not available via Email servers
or the GCG package.  There are literally too many to enumerate here - lots
of databases and information resources  are available in ways that we could
only dream about a couple years ago.  For your specific example - the ATCC
catalogues are already up on gopher.  Point your gopher client at
merlot.welch.jhu.edu and select:

 -->  12. Search Databases at Hopkins (Vectors, Promoters, NRL-3D, EST, OMIM../

  -->  6.  Culture Collections (ATCC, ECACC)/

    -->  1.  ATCC - The American Type Culture Collection/

And you can search the ATCC data for Bacteria, Bacteriophages,
Cell Lines, Hybridomas, Protozoa, Algae, Animal and Plant Viruses and
Antisera, Fungi and Yeasts, Clones, Vectors, Libraries, Hosts, Oligos ...

You can also fill out an online order form here and it will be sent to
the ATCC automagically.

As an aside the European Collection of Animal Cell Cultures (ECACC) data
is also up on gopher - to be announced later today.

Poke around a bit in bio-gopher space, I think you'll be surprised
by how much is out there - for real use by real biologists.

If you want a pointer into information about cancer - select:

 -->  4.  Search BOING (Bio Oriented INternet Gophers) <?>

and search for cancer - you'll pull up quite a bit.  It's really
worth it to spend a little bit of time getting to know bio-gopher
space, there is an incredible amount of information at your fingertips.

(Dan steps down from soap box :-)

Best of luck,

Dan Jacobson

danj at welchgate.welch.jhu.edu