More PhosphorImager Info

Jonathan B. Marder MARDER at agri.huji.ac.il
Mon Aug 23 12:41:00 EST 1993

This post didn't reach me in time to be included in the summary I posted on
PhosporImager systems.
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1993 12:48:16 -0500
From: joef at dnacore.mbp.missouri.edu (Joe Forrester)
To: marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Subject: Phosphor Imager info

Hi,

We have a Molecular Dynamics imager.  I can respond to
some of your questions.  I don't use the system my
self so I don't know much about how good it is in terms
of ease of use and reliable quantitation etc. however
I have not heard comlaints from the users.  The plates
are expensive but that is true of any of the systems.

Ours is located in the DNA Core Facility and is used
by people from all over Campus.  Each department has
a workstation (MD will give a site liscence for the
software) so the instrument is used only for scanning
and the files are transfered to the remote stations
for analysis.  At lease one department with a Novell
network collects the data directly to their fileserver.
Others ftp to a UNIX box and then back to their PC.
Direct PC to PC transfer is possible using server mode
in NCSA telnet (and others I assume) however this is
probably not completely reliable.

Over all the MD instrument can be set up to be a good
multiuser system and I think our users have been
pleased with it.

There was a notice on the news reader recently about
freeware that will convert an image (film) scanned
on a regular scanner into a format that the MD
software can handle.  That is on the ftp server:
amber.mgh.harvard.edu (132.183.190.26)
Look for sg2ig in directory [.PC].

Feel free to contact me if you need furthur info.

Joe Forrester
DNA Core Facility
University of Missouri
M642 Med. Sci. Bldg.
Columbia, MO 65212
(314) 882-0428

__
Jonathan B. Marder                 '
Department of Agricultural Botany  |     Internet: MARDER at AGRI.HUJI.AC.IL
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem | /\/ Bitnet:   MARDER at HUJIAGRI
P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL  /     Fax:      (08 or +9728) 467763