SSCP HELP

srgcles at grv.grace.cri.nz srgcles at grv.grace.cri.nz
Mon Aug 23 15:42:03 EST 1993

SSCPs

I am planning on using SSCPs to detect sequence polymorphism in amplified human
mitochondrial D-loop fragments. I had a short play with SSCPs in 1990 when I
tried to find a single base mutation, but the method (I copied Orita's
original protocol) did not show up my mutation as being different from the
wild type sequence. I saw a poster at the 8th ICHG in Washington DC, 1991
which said you could manipulate gel conditions to get almost all mutations
with SSCPs. Has anyone tried this?
Any hints at all about getting started with SSCPs/problems/etc
would be much appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Brian Scrimshaw
Institute of Environmental Health and Forensic Sciences
PO Box 30547
Lower Hutt
Wellington
New Zealand