minigels on slides keep floating away - help

Tue Aug 24 18:44:57 EST 1993

> Shiver me timbers! I have been making little mini-gels on frosted
> microscope slides, by mixing molten 1% LMP agarose with lymphocytes, and
> pipeting this onto the slides, and overlaying the agarose with a
> coverslip. Later, I remove the coverslip (carefully sliding it off the
> agarose) and place the slide in an alkaline lysis buffer. However, many
> times my gels will separate from the slides. Any sugesstions? Thanks, Greg.

To steal an idea from the BRL, in their Horizon electrophoresis apparatus
they have small depressions at four corners so that the gel will hold after
pouring in.  I guess you can improvise on this either by making small
depressions on the slide's surface or add a few microliters of wax or
some other resin like superglue.  These raised surfaces will hold the
gel in place for most manipulations.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu