Mini acrylamide apparatus

beatriz at pine.circa.ufl.edu beatriz at pine.circa.ufl.edu
Wed Aug 25 14:11:43 EST 1993

In article <01H232NNSAAQ0012F6 at UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU>, KORTE at UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU (JOHN) writes:
>Our lab is currently considering the purchase of a mini-gel system.  (eg. the
>"Mini-Protean" by Bio-Rad, the "Mighty Small", etc.)  Any suggestions that you
>have concearning these and other similar apparatus would be greatly
>appreciated.
>		Thanks in advance,
>		John Korte

John, we have the Bio-Rad Protean II Cell and I like it a lot. I have
never tried the other one so I can only talk about the BR one. If you
order it, make sure you get the 1mm spacers (and matching combs)
because the ones Bio Rad supplies are just too thin (I htink they are
0.4 mm) and the wells hold almost nothing. I used to always run the
regular size PAGE, but once you start using mini-gels you will not want
to go back. Another thing, someone at work told me he tried the 2D
system in another lab and it really does not work, so they are good for
regular SDSPAGE but not for IEF (BioRad also sells a mini IEF system).

Good luck,

Beatriz.