minigels on slides keep floating away - help

David Johnstondaj daj at uk.ac.ic.nhm
Wed Aug 25 07:17:51 EST 1993

On 24 Aug 1993 21:19:59 GMT,
  Gregory Stuart writes:

>Shiver me timbers! I have been making little mini-gels on frosted
>microscope slides, by mixing molten 1% LMP agarose with lymphocytes, and
>pipeting this onto the slides, and overlaying the agarose with a
>coverslip. Later, I remove the coverslip (carefully sliding it off the
>agarose) and place the slide in an alkaline lysis buffer. However, many
>times my gels will separate from the slides. Any sugesstions? Thanks, Greg.

Idea 1 (cheap but might not work!)
In the good old days when I did immunoelectrophoresis on microscope slides,
we used to use standard (not frosted) glass and "subbed" them before use.
Clean the slides thoroughly, wash and dry. Then wipe over with a 0.2%
agar(ose) in H2O solution and Dry @ 37C. These slides keep virtually for
ever. Just pour your agarose/lymphocyte mix onto the "subbed" slide.

Idea 2 (expensive but if it doesn't work at least you can complain!)
LKB-Pharmacia sell a version of their "GEL-BOND" for agarose work. This is
a sheet of stiff plastic approx 0.5mm thick (cuttable with
scalpel or scissors) which has been pretreated on one side to bind agarose.
I have used it for rocket electrophoresis (hands up all those who
remember that old technique) with 200x100 gels with no problems.

Good luck

DAJ
David A. Johnston
Dept of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road,
South Kensington, London SW7 5DB.
(tel 071 9389297, fax 071 9388754, email daj at nhm.ic.ac.uk)