Dumb Gelase question

Larry Hale lhale at UPEI.CA
Thu Aug 26 20:19:30 EST 1993

I just tried Gelase for the first time, and the recovery was pathetic. Just
for practice, I tried to recover the 2.32 and 2.03 kb HindIII fragments from
a digest of 3 ug of lambda DNA, from a 1% LMP-agarose (in TBE) slice
weighing 66 mg. I figure only 10% of the DNA was recovered.

Are there any really critical steps to this procedure that I should be
attentive to?

When the precipitation protocols call for "one volume" of 5M Ammonium
acetate to be added to the Gelased slice, do they mean the volume of the
original slice alone, or the slice + Gelase buffer? (I'm sorry. It's not
clear to me)

Is the precipitated DNA pellet particularly prone to loosening from the
microfuge tube? How careful must one be when decanting the ethanol?

Many thanks for your patience.

*  Larry Hale                                             *
*    Biology Dept., Univ. of Prince Edward Island         *
*    Charlottetown, P.E.I., Canada                        *
*  The opinions expressed are not those of UPEI, sadly.   *