Ligation and Sonication

Andres Ferber andres at calvin.jci.tju.edu
Thu Aug 26 11:41:34 EST 1993

I read some time ago some articles about increasing the efficiency of
ligation by sonication.
Could somebody please post the conditions again?
I have a question about it.
If the DNA is sonicated is it possible that this generates breacks? And if
so ,since the conditions in the tube favor ligation,is it possible that
ligation of the broken ends could generate small deletions that although
silent in the restriction analysis, could cause alteration in the protein
expression of cloned coding sequences?
I would appreciate any comment or suggestion.
If the subject has been extensively discussed in the past I apologize for
bringing it back and I count on a forgiving soul to answer by e-mail and
not to the list.
 Andres Ferber