minigels on slides keep floating away - help

Leonard Bloksberg preissj at clvax1.msu.edu
Thu Aug 26 20:42:00 EST 1993

In Article <25e0lv$1e3 at skeena.ucs.ubc.ca> "gstuart at unixg.ubc.ca (Gregory Stuart)" says:
> Shiver me timbers! I have been making little mini-gels on frosted
> microscope slides, by mixing molten 1% LMP agarose with lymphocytes, and
> pipeting this onto the slides, and overlaying the agarose with a
> coverslip. Later, I remove the coverslip (carefully sliding it off the
> agarose) and place the slide in an alkaline lysis buffer. However, many
> times my gels will separate from the slides. Any sugesstions? Thanks, Greg.

Well, I know it sounds hoaky, but I use agarose gels poured on microscope
slide routinely, and when they get frisky and try to run away I calm them
down with a little massage.  Yes, it's true.  The theory is that when you
massage them down onto the support, it makes like a suction cup like effect.
This is not a fool proof method.  Sometime, on a long run I may have to come
back and massage them back in place every hour or so, but it does work.
			Good luck
				Lenny