Cloning PCR fragments

DAVIS at licre.ludwig.edu.au DAVIS at licre.ludwig.edu.au
Mon Aug 30 08:24:14 EST 1993

In article <25j2t7$2qb at scuba.sura.net>, inet3 at scuba.sura.net (Internet Guest3)
writes:
> Has anyone out there used BRL's Lipofectamine Reagent for
> transfecting eukaryotic cells?

I have used their Lipofectin reagent, as opposed to their Lipofectamine.
It works nicely, but what the package insert neglects to mention is that
you need a ratio of about 5:1 lipofectin:DNA to get it to work.  I use it
at 10 mcg/ml (= 10 microlitre/ml) lipofectin to 2 mcg/ml DNA as the end
concentration.  This needs to be optimised for the cell line and the
plasmid  you are using, and also the time of transfection needs to be
optimised; an hour either side of the optimum can make the difference
between success and failure.

Somebody else at our Institute (who introduced me to Lipofectin) has done a
few preliminary experiments with Lipofectamine and did not generate any
colonies, but maybe it just needs a bit more tweaking.

Ian Davis                                       davis at licre.ludwig.edu.au
Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research
Melbourne Tumour Biology Branch
Melbourne, Australia.