Enhancing nucl. acids recovery

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Mon Aug 30 11:01:08 EST 1993

In article <01H245XGKGCO0001PP at irri.cgnet.com> RPSCOTT,
RSCOTT at IRRI.CGNET.COM writes:
>  > I hope other netters who have already tried this out could share
their
>  > experiences to the group.
>  >
>  > Scott

I have been using a commercial version of this method to prepare
fragments from low-melt agarose gels.  5 Prime->3 Prime, Inc., sells what
they call Phase Lock Gels which come pre-packed in tubes of various sizes
and in two different densities of the gel.  My experience has been good,
but not always.  Sometimes the gel does not form a tight plug, and it is
harder to separate the phases than if the gel were not present.  When
this happens there are wisps of the gel in the upper phase, and I cannot
pour out the upper phase.  However, 90-95% of the time it works fine.

Good luck,

Jim Owens