Drying Sequencing gels

Jim Owens jow at helix.nih.gov
Wed Dec 1 08:47:08 EST 1993

In article <1993Dec1.090831.17830 at crc.ac.uk> Dr. M. Rhodes,
mrhodes at crc.ac.uk writes:
>Does anyone out there have any alternative ways of drying
>sequencing gels, without using a vacuum gel drier? if so how weel did it
work

We occasionally run out of gel driers for sequencing gels.  The gels dry
just fine and faster than in a drier if they are laid on top of the gel
drier.  They look a bit "lumpy," but that does not effect the
autoradiograms.

The only drawback is that in a busy place like our isotope room someone
else may not pay attention to your gel and rest a buffer flask on it, or
move it or throw it away if it is not appropriately and LOUDLY labelled.

Good luck,

Jim Owens