Coupled vs uncoupled in vitro transcription/translation

Wade Harper jharper at
Thu Dec 2 21:49:43 EST 1993

In article <9311251710.AA31423 at>,
jwoodget at (Jim Woodgett) wrote:
> Has anyone had good/bad experiences with Promega's TnT coupled
> transcription/translation system?  We've always made RNA first then
> translated in retic. lysates but this does take more time than the coupled
> methods.  Any comparisons between the two apart from cost?
> Jim Woodgett      Fax (416) 926 6529     Tel (416) 924 0671
> jwoodget at

In our hands, TnT works better than the two step method.  There are far
internal initiation and premature termination products especially for large
proteins.  I guess that is in part because the RNA isnot nicked before
it enters the ribosome.

Wade Harper
jharper at