CsCl plasmid RNA?

Andre Hamel hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Thu Dec 2 15:45:02 EST 1993

CsCl-EtBr banded plasmids will always contain concomitant RNAs. This has
been well documented (I'd dig through my files if need be).

Simple test of this is to treat equal aliquots (eg. 5 ug) of final purified
plasmid prep into 50 uL TE with versus without 0.2 N NaOH -> 37*C/15 min ->
neutr with 6 uL 3 M NaAc (pH 4-5) -> add 200 uL 100% EtOH, mix -> sit
overnite -20*C to +4*C -> microfuge, wash, dry -> dissolve each pellet in
same vol. H2O -> determine A230/A260/A280 for each AND check same volume
aliquot of each on mini gel ... Abs will be lower for NaOH treated prep BUT
plasmid band intensities should be same ... due to alk. hydrolysis of RNA,
Abs is lower for NaOH treated ... thus reason why alk. den. is used for
preparing ds plasmid for sequencing.

Also, PEG ppt'n PRIOR to CsCl-EtBr ultracent. will aid in reducing
concomitant RNA problems ... simply isprop ppt after NaOH-SDS/NaAc neutr
-> dissolve pellet in TE (30 mL for 1 L cells worth) -> add 5% PEG/8,000
and 0.5 M NaCl (final conc.) -> mix, sit on ice/ON -> harvest pellet ->
dissolve pellet in TE -> add 1.1 gm/mL CsCl/2 mg/mL EtBr -> on ice 1 hr ->
spin 10,000 xg/1/2 hr -> transfer to ultracent tube, avoiding protein-EtBr
pellicle scum along sides/bottom, which can otherwise interfere with
CsCl-EtBr ultracent band recovery -> supplement with more EtBr if need be,
judging from EtBr red color intensity (can add 1 more mL of 5 mg/mL stock
to 15 mL CsCl-EtBr-plasmid).

regards,
Andre Hamel                              email: hamel at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Manitoba Veterinary Services          lab tel.: (204) 945-7630
545 University Crescent,                   FAX:(204) 945-8062
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
CANADA   R3T 5S6            ********************