Pls confirm my predicted signal peptide

Hinayana Bawagan bawagan at umdnj.edu
Thu Dec 2 22:28:12 EST 1993

This request is especially for the following netters:
Stefan Salbert, Robert Shoenfeld, Bill Morgan and Vincent Mulholland

If it is convenient for you guys, will you extend your advice to a
grad student.

1.  The following is the protein sequence immediately before my
    protein.

    R  ENKTIFIVALLCVAIAK  R  WPTWVVILLAIGTWTTVKG-my protein
              (2)                     (1)
    I hypothesize that the hydrophobic region (1) is the signal peptide for
my envelope protein and the hydrophobic region (2) is the stop transfer signal
for the preceding premembrane protein and both regions forming the membrane
anchor for the premembrane protein.

2.  My obscure but interesting virus is related to yellow fever virus.
YF has similar paired hydrophobic sequences upstream of its envelope protein.

    R  NPFFAVTALTIAYLVGSNNTQ  R  VVIALLVLAVGPAYS-envelope protein of YF
    The hydrophobic region (1) has already been confirmed to be the
signal peptide of the E protein of YF.

3.  I have seen a similar occurrence for two other viruses in the family.

What do you think?  Thanks in advance.