HEPES/MES in pH adjustments of tissue culture media

Hinayana Bawagan bawagan at umdnj.edu
Thu Dec 9 22:22:25 EST 1993

    I need to test the sensitivity of my virus to different pHs. HEPES and MES
are used for pH adjustments of tissue culture media.  I do no know how to go
about preparing the media.  Is there some kind of calculation involved that
this amount of the chemical will give me this pH?  The media has to be sterile
so I just can't have the electrode of a pH meter dipped into it while I am
adding some adjuster dropwise.
    I apologize for asking if the answer is obvious and too basic to be
asked in the net.
    Thank you.