How to name a clone?

Helge Weissig helgew at LJCRF.EDU
Thu Dec 9 19:44:32 EST 1993

peijunz at sfu.ca wrote

>Hi netters,
>When you got a clone (cDNA clone or genomic DNA clone), you need to
>name it. I was wondering if there is any rule to do this. I recently got
>a cDNA clone of cysteine proteinase from wheat (my insert is in
>pBluescript). What name could I give to my clone?
>
>Any ideas and suggestions are highly appreciated.
[stuff deleted]

I have basically the same problem, but I think, people just make up their
own names al gusto... at least before the actual publication. Usually cDNA
themself get a functional name, kind of going with the cloning process (eg.
if you decided to simply assign numbers to every analysed phagemid-clone,
yours could be cDNA57218!). However when finally making the thing public,
you want to talk about the GENE more than about the cDNA itself. Since you
already know, that you are dealing with a specific gene (for cysteine
proteinases), you might as well go with that! :)
However, depending on the field your in, you might want to stick to certain
unspoken laws: ie. in Drosophila people seem to like adjectives (mostly
German ones, even with the Umlaute! :)) describing the mutant phenotype,
eg. krueppel; whereas unknown proteins in most fields usually are assigned
their mol. weight preceded by a 'p' as names, eg. p53.

for your proteinase cDNA I would simply suggest to call it 'Wheat Cysteine
Proteinase cDNA' or WCPcDNA if you are into acronyms... :).

my 2 Pfg. worth :)
helge

      ***        		Helge Weissig
    * . . *      		La Jolla Cancer Research Foundation
   *       *  	   	10901 N. Torrey Pines Rd.
   * \___/ *    	 	La Jolla, CA 92037
    *     *	    	  	phone:  	(619) 455 6480 ext. 253
      ***  	 	     	FAX:    	(619) 455 0181