How to name a clone?

T. J. Murphy medtjm at bimcore.emory.edu
Sun Dec 12 22:52:50 EST 1993

In article AA14481 at fraser.sfu.ca, peijunz at sfu.ca writes:
> Hi netters,
> When you got a clone (cDNA clone or genomic DNA clone), you need to
> name it. I was wondering if there is any rule to do this. I recently got
> a cDNA clone of cysteine proteinase from wheat (my insert is in
> pBluescript). What name could I give to my clone?

We name them based upon their library, and their shorthand they get in the
purification process.  So, lambdaBGL12 is primary pick #12 from a bovine genomic
libary, pFa23 is a positive from a plasmid expression library from the "Fth" pool,
"a" subpool and 23 pick of the subpool.
Sounds kinda complicated, but if you get into a few libraries a year like we do,
it helps to make sense out of all the films and frozen stocks of these picks.
---

TJ Murphy
Asst. Professor
Dept of Pharmacology