How to name a clone?

T. J. Murphy medtjm at
Sun Dec 12 22:52:50 EST 1993

In article AA14481 at, peijunz at writes:
> Hi netters,
> When you got a clone (cDNA clone or genomic DNA clone), you need to
> name it. I was wondering if there is any rule to do this. I recently got
> a cDNA clone of cysteine proteinase from wheat (my insert is in
> pBluescript). What name could I give to my clone?
We name them based upon their library, and their shorthand they get in the
purification process.  So, lambdaBGL12 is primary pick #12 from a bovine genomic
libary, pFa23 is a positive from a plasmid expression library from the "Fth" pool,
"a" subpool and 23 pick of the subpool.
Sounds kinda complicated, but if you get into a few libraries a year like we do,
it helps to make sense out of all the films and frozen stocks of these picks.

TJ Murphy
Asst. Professor
Dept of Pharmacology
Emory University School of Medicine