DEPC

Robert Citek rwcitek at orion.oac.uci.edu
Mon Dec 13 04:54:08 EST 1993

I need to work with RNA and have looked in several sources to
minimize or eliminate RNAse contamination.  DEPC was recommended
in 0.2%, 0.1%, 0.5%, and 0.001% concentrations to treat my water
for preparing buffers.  I've never worked with RNA before.  Does
it really matter what concentration I use?  That is, is 0.2% going
to be so high that it will interfere with later RNA use or is 0.001%
going to be so low as to be ineffective?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Robert Citek
University of California
134 Social Ecology
Irvine, CA  92717-5150