NDOWName a clone?

dallas at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com dallas at mcvax4.d48.lilly.com
Mon Dec 13 15:33:05 EST 1993

In article <CHuC65.Jzp at news2.cis.umn.edu>, paul-b at molbio.cbs.umn.edu (Paul Bucciaglia) writes:
>>In article <9312092255.AA14481 at fraser.sfu.ca>, peijunz at sfu.ca writes:
>>> Hi netters,
>>> When you got a clone (cDNA clone or genomic DNA clone), you need to
>>> name it. I was wondering if there is any rule to do this. I recently got
>>> a cDNA clone of cysteine proteinase from wheat (my insert is in
>>> pBluescript). What name could I give to my clone?
>>>
>>Why not pPZ... Lots of people name their clone after themselves!
>>
>>Iain Wilson
>>iwilson at molbiol.ox.ac.uk
>
> No flame/malice/busting intended but it is much more informative if you
> give the clone a name which reflects its function, expresion pattter etc.
> I am not very imaginative but you could do something like "cpw" for
> "Cysteine Proteinase from Wheat" or "cyp" for "CYsteine Proteinase".
> Others may have better suggestions; its just more helpful to the reader
> of a paper if they can connect the name of your clone to something
> biologically relevant.
>
> paul bucciaglia

Back in the seventies and early eighties, there actually was a cataloguing of
plasmid names that used two and three letter codes followed by a number. E. g.
pMF1...2...3 which, of course, stood for Mayo Foundation.  Esther Lederberg at
Stanford used to keep this list.  Since there weren't many two letter codes
left, I took "OW" which gave my plasmid, cDNA, and viral DNA's pOW, cOW, and
vOW #'s.  Cute, uh? :-\

I believe in the descriptive idea however, and unless they get mixed up in the
lab can be very helpful in calling to mind constructions that may be several
years old, especially if they led to publication.

I usually describe the most important part, the insert, with a series of
plasmids that have a particular promoter, or signal sequence, or ... .

By all means, be creative!!!

JIm Miller
Lilly Research Labs