messenger RNA polyA tails

Cornelius Krasel krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de
Thu Dec 16 04:40:19 EST 1993

RICHARD MEINERSMANN (rmeinersmann at ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV) wrote:

: I read somewhere (don't remember where) that some prokaryotic mRNA have
: poly A tails and some do not.  Is this true?  Is there any way to predict
: which case you might be working with before wasting your time with
: poly-T primed reverse transcription?

As far as I can remember, the gene for the poly(A)-polymerase in E.coli
has been cloned recently (I cannot find the reference at the moment,
but I think it was in PNAS this or last year). The same group looked
for polyA tails but found them only on exceptionally long-lived
transcripts (lpp with a half-life of about 20-30 min).

If you are interested in the exact reference, please send me an email
(otherwise I'll probably forget it :-).

Hope that helps,
--Cornelius.

/* email: krasel at alf.biochem.mpg.de                 fax: +49 89 8578 3975 */
/* "People are DNA's way of making more DNA." (R. Dawkins/anonymous)      */