Alkaline transfers - a possible variant?

Paulo Magalhaes pamaga at biobase.aau.dk
Mon Dec 20 04:55:09 EST 1993

Hi!

For all our transfers (DNA to Hybond) we use 0.4M NaOH.
Since we use quite a lot of this, we get all these solutions
made for us. By mistake we got a few litres of 0.4M NaOH, 0.6M NaCl.
We don't really want to throw out all this, so we started wondering
what COULD happen if we used this "new" solution for the transfer.
What will all this salt do?... The pH is practically the same as the
straight 0.4M NaOH solution, so we're really dealing only with a
higher salt concentration - how will this affect the transfer? Will it
affect the subsequent hybridization?... Surely not, since the filter is
washed in 2xSSC and H2O before the pre-hyb... Well, we're trying this
out right now, but it would still be great to hear your opinions on
this...

Regards from "sunny-for-a-change" Copenhagen,

Paulo