Site directed mutagenesis

Dr. Nico Stuurman nico at pharm.sunysb.edu
Thu Dec 23 20:26:15 EST 1993

Dear everyone,

I have been performing site directed mutagenesis using the two primer
method (original reference Deng and Nickoloff (1992), Ananl. Bioch. 200:
81).  In short, one primer introduces the mutation of interest, the second
primer mutates a unique restriction site in the vector into another site.
After a first round of transformation pooled plasmid is digested with the
enzyme specific for the parent vector and the digest used for a second
transformation.  The method works reasonably well for me. However, two
problems occurred.  When I used double stranded plasmid as template (as
the original procedure calls for) I got only strange, much shorter
plasmids.  This problem was obliviated by starting with ssDNA as a
template.  My latest problem is, however, that I am getting additional
mutations.  About 35 bp upstream of the aimed mutation is an extremely GC
rich region (actually, it never resolves well on sequencing gels).  The
mutants that I got all have extra mutations in that region, probably
insertions of G or C residues (the gel is hard to read over there).  Two
other mutants, made with different primers (although in about the same area)
did not have these additional mutations.  I assume that the T4 DNA
polymerase that I am using has some difficulties.  Does any one know how I
could improve the fidelity of the DNA synthesis reaction? Is it possible to
include DMSO to reduce problems arising from secundary structure?
Thanks for your help.

Nico Stuurman
Dept. of Pharmacological Sciences
SUNY at Stony Brook,