Elimination of the fixing step in sequencing

Hinayana Bawagan bawagan at umdnj.edu
Mon Dec 27 07:42:04 EST 1993

    Some of my labmates would skip the fixing step (1 hour, 5% acetic
acid, 15% methanol) and proceed to drying when they were short of time.
Most of the time the gel would not be sticky but occasionally the
problem would arise.  My labmates would say its a matter of luck.
    If the fixation step could be done away with (which cuts down on
our hazardous waste), is there a way to ensure that the gels would always
be good?