Sequencing Gel Drying hardware - Experiences?

unknown at dl.ac.uk unknown at dl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 30 16:59:45 EST 1993

We have used the Bio-RAD gel dryer for a number of years, and it has
worked very well for us.  We just place the gels (we never fix) on
whatman paper, dry for 45min to an hour and place it into the cassette.
However, I strongly recommend that you use some type of diaphram pump.
Some people use vacuum pumps, and even with the traps etc I have
observed that these pumps have a tendency to be destroyed by this type
of use.

Good Luck

> After a number of years of drying our sequencing gels directly onto
> glass plates and exposing them to film sandwiched onto the glass, we
> have become tired of periodic problems of gels not sticking to the
> "sticky" plate, or not releasing from the "nonsticky" plate. Most of
> the time it works ok, but it is frustrating when it doesn't.	We are
> contemplating getting a gel drier for at least back-up use. People
> we have spoken to use everything from a plastic, $1000 Bio-Rad drier
> hooked up to an aspirator or house vacuum with only an unchilled
> Erlenmyer trap,  to a $5000, stainless steel, all in one Savant
> drier with special vacuum pump and integral trap. ANy experience
> with this type of equipment, obvious do's or don'ts would be
> appreciated, so we can put together a reliable system. Thanks in
> advance.
> ********************
>
> Peter T. Boag			TEL: (613) 545-6160
> Department of Biology		FAX: (613) 545-6617
> Queen's University			EMAIL: BOAGP at QUCDN.QUEENSU.CA
> Kingston, Ontario
> Canada  K7L3N6

James F. George, Ph.D.              "Back off man, I'm a scientist"
Department of Surgery                --Bill Murray
University of Alabama at Birmingham
205-934-4261 voice
txpljfg at uabcvsr.cvsr.uab.edu