PFGE equipment

Vivian Miao vmiao at
Fri Feb 5 03:09:55 EST 1993

In article <C1wr6A.J05 at>, galileo
<galileo at> wrote:
> In article <1993Feb1.200728.17450 at> Coady Michael,
> coady at ERE.UMontreal.CA writes:
> >	I know practically zero about pulsed field gel electrophoresis,
> >but I noticed that Hoefer is selling one apparatus that they say is
> useful for relatively small DNAs.
> G'day mate,
> 	Welcome to the world of PFGE. I have done a fair amount and I still feel
> that I know nothing.  However, I would not use PFGE to separate DNA
> fragments under 20 kb but a standard agarose gel. Good luck with your
> mission.
> C. Dundee.
> galileo at

I agree -  PFGE would certainly work, but standard elelctrophoresis
 should be fine for fragments under 20 kb.  I routinely use 0.6%
 agarose gels, and once in a while even run a 0.4% agarose gel (pour
 a thin 1% agarose layer for support if you need to handle the gel
 eventually, this layer shouldn't touch the bottom of the comb -then
 pour the 0.4% gel while it is hot, so that it forms a good seal with
 the bottom layer).