replies to - Can the oligodT columns be reused.

Jaishree Muppala Chittoor jaishre at matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Sun Feb 14 00:18:53 EST 1993

These are the replies I got for the question - Can the oligodT column be
reused.
I would like to thank everyone of you.
Jaishree

From: Birgitt Oeser <OSER%DMSWWU1A.bitnet at KSUVM.KSU.EDU>
Subject:      Can oligo-dT columns be reused?
the answer is as so often: in principle yes. If you make your own columns (as
e.g. described in Sambrook et al., Molecular Cloning, Cold Spring Harbor
Laboratory Press, 1989, 7.26-7.29) they can be reused many times. Yet it is
recommendable to use one column only for one kind of mRNA. If you buy the
columns from a company (e.g. USB) they are usual delivered in a way which makes
them not-reusable.
From: jeffs at elsie.nci.nih.gov (Jeffrey Alan Silverman)

Oligo dT columns are frequently reused.  The matrix needs to be "regenerated"
by treatment with base and then neutralized before its next use.  And it should
be stored dry at -20.
From: "MIKE::PECHAN" <pechan at mike.dnet.gwdg.de>

Of course, that you can can oligodT column reuse.
See Davis L.G., Dibner M.D., Battey J.F : Basic Methods in Molecular Biology,
Elsevier (1986) pp.139 - a very good protocol
From: "DAVID F. BISHOP" <BISHOP at msvax.mssm.edu>

Yes they can be reused.  Follow the protocol in the Molecular Cloning
handbook by Maniatis et al.  It involves an NaOH wash.
From: BACKD at QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Don Back)

YES
Recycle with NaOH to strip the column. Essentially the same proceedure
you would have used to precycle the column.
From: Andy Phillips <PHILLIPSA at UK.AC.AFRC.LARS>

I use my oligodT cellulose about 5-10 times. Just
wash a few times in 0.1M NaOH (preferably by suspending
in 10-20 volumes & collect by gently centrifguation).
Store in the same solution in the fridge. When needed,
equilibrate in binding buffer, checking with pH paper