gDNA with glassmilk?

Thu Feb 18 14:07:27 EST 1993

> 	I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the glass powder (glass
> milk) described in the FAQ to extract genomic DNA from mammalian tissue culture cells and/or mouse tail snips.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> I need clean yields >40micrograms quantities for PCR and S. blot.
> Thanks,
> Darin (obrien at molbio.cbs.umn.edu)

	Hi:
	I donot think you want to use the glassbeads for genomic DNA
preps (especially for southern blots).
	At least with glassmilk (Bio101), as I understand, any DNA more
than 4 kb has a very good chance of getting sheared because the long
strand can bind to more than one bead.  However, it is possible to
take a lot of care in making sure that the bead suspension with the DNA
is not agitated vigorously and get some yield of the high mol weight stuff.
It may be okay for PCR if you are amplifying a small length of DNA.
	It is possible that somebody has good results with this procedure.
But conceptually it does not make too much of a sense.
	Just my thoughts.
Raj Shankarappa
bsh at med.pitt.edu