Releasing adherent cells w/o trypsin

Martin Kennedy cytogen at chmeds.ac.nz
Thu Feb 18 19:44:47 EST 1993

> In article <1993Feb8.135444.2010 at vax1.utulsa.edu>, bma14432 at vax1.utulsa.edu writes:
>
> Dear Netter,
>
> I vaguely recall a conversation a couple years ago where someone
> mentioned a protocol for releasing adherent cells from tissue culture
> flasks/dishes without trypsinizing them. I believe it involved EDTA but
> I'm not sure. If anyone has a reference or protocol for this I would
> be very appreciative. My main concern is to release the cells with
> minimal disturbance to the membrane. If you have other ideas please feel
> free to suggest them. Thanks in advance.

Sigma cell a substance (unidentified)! called "Cell dissociation solution",
which they describe as non enzymatic, for "gentle removal " of cells from
culture flasks.  They claim it preserves cellular proteins including cell
surface proteins.... I've never tried it, but maybe it could be what you need.
Catalog number C 5914 if you're interested.

Cheers,

Martin

Martin A Kennedy (E-mail = cytogen at chmeds.ac.nz) |  NN   N   ZZZZZZ
Cytogenetic and Molecular Oncology Unit          |  N N  N      ZZ
Christchurch School of Medicine 		 |  N  N N    ZZ
Christchurch, New Zealand                        |  N   NN   ZZZZZZ