gDNA with glassmilk?

wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov
Fri Feb 19 11:19:06 EST 1993

>> 	I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the glass powder (glass
>> milk) described in the FAQ to extract genomic DNA from mammalian tissue
>> culture cells and/or mouse tail snips.  Any suggestions would be greatly
>> appreciated.

I'm afraid I don't know the answer, but can comment on Raj's response:
> 	At least with glassmilk (Bio101), as I understand, any DNA more
> than 4 kb has a very good chance of getting sheared because the long
> strand can bind to more than one bead.  However, it is possible to
> take a lot of care in making sure that the bead suspension with the DNA
> is not agitated vigorously and get some yield of the high mol weight stuff.

This is the reason I mix the silica with the NaI solution BEFORE adding the
mixture to the DNA solution.  (See the FAQ for details.)  The beads are,
and remain, separated before they come in contact with the DNA, so multiple
beads are not joined by a single molecule, and gentle mixing is all that's
required.

Views expressed are not necessarily those of NCTR, its sponsoring agencies,
or the United States government.

Bill Melchior                                ||       MISSING LINK
National Center for Toxicological Research   ||    Man's a kind
Jefferson, AR  72079                         ||    of Missing Link,
(501) 543-7206                               ||    fondly thinking
                                             ||    he can think.
WMELCHIOR at NTET.NCTR.FDA.GOV                  ||       from Grooks, by Piet Hein