gDNA with glassmilk?

Cheung C. Yue ccy at po.CWRU.Edu
Fri Feb 19 12:08:31 EST 1993

In a previous article, bsh at MED.PITT.EDU (Basavaraju Shankarappa) says:

>> 	I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the glass powder (glass
>> milk) described in the FAQ to extract genomic DNA from mammalian tissue culture cells and/or mouse tail snips.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>> I need clean yields >40micrograms quantities for PCR and S. blot.
>> Thanks,
>> Darin (obrien at molbio.cbs.umn.edu)
>
>	I donot think you want to use the glassbeads for genomic DNA
>preps (especially for southern blots).
>	At least with glassmilk (Bio101), as I understand, any DNA more
>than 4 kb has a very good chance of getting sheared because the long
>strand can bind to more than one bead.

A while back I tried a kit from S&S which appears to have been based on a
paper from BioTechniques describing the use of 25 micron uniform glass beads
as the matrix to bind genomic DNA.  The kit seemed to work fine in getting
decent HMW DNA for me with small amount of degradation (HMW meaning >15
to 20 Kb).  The paper described getting the glass beads from S&S.  The last
I checked the catalog, those glass beads are no longer avaialble, but the
kit (which I am fairly sure utilize those beads) is!  Anyway I thought the
other kit I was trying -- the Genomix kit, was cheaper, and could accomodate
larger volumes of blood, so I have decided not to use the S&S kit.

Disclaimer: I am not employed by any commercial outfits mentioned in this
post.

C Cho Yue
ccy at po.cwru.edu