Silver Staining (was Re: SS dna analysis)

Jason E Stewart jasons at bmc.uu.se
Fri Feb 19 04:36:42 EST 1993

In article <1993Feb16.225940.8733 at midway.uchicago.edu>,
ecec at kimbark.uchicago.edu (Eric Cabot) wrote:
> Although I usually use 32P to label the DNA (by doing PCR with
> radiolabel included), I've also had good results by using silver
> staining.

What is the detection sensitivity of silver staining of DNA? can one detect
single ng quantities (i.e. 1 pmole of oligo) or does one need like 100ng
(100 pmole of oligo)? I ask becuase i usually kinase my oligos after
synthesis to test them, and gel purify them after I know the approx. yield,
but we have some 5' blocked oligos that can't be kinased, and I don't want
to start with tailing with cordecypin. Not to mention it would be nice to
slip the labelling step.

TIA

Jason.

Jason Stewart    	                      Father at large
Department of Medical Genetics
jasons at bmc.uu.se