Nytran, was Re: Boehringer Mannheim Genius

Jeffrey Alan Silverman jeffs at elsie.nci.nih.gov
Fri Feb 26 18:49:40 EST 1993

In article <1m16hrINNld1 at shelley.u.washington.edu>, darkstar at carson.u.washington.edu (Alden  Hackmann) writes:
> bi__mvw at SELWAY.UMT.EDU (Michael van Waes) writes:
>

> >>Has anyone tried the Boehringer Mannheim Genius Kit?  What has been your
> >>reaction.  We seem to be experiencing a great deal of lane background on
> >>genomic Southern blots.  We use the MSI MagnaCharge and MagnaGraph membranes.
> >>Has anyone used any other types of membranes?  What have been your results?
> >>
> >>Thanks,
> >>Charles and Yan
> >>

> > I used it for both Northerns and Southerns, and it worked fine with Nytran
> > membranes (S&S). Try it, maybe you can get a free sample (that's how I got it
> > the first time around).
> > There is one thing though; S&S stopped making their Nytran, and they were
> > getting their membranes from a different manufacturer. This was about 2 or
> > three years ago, and I don't know were that stands now. They swear that the
> > membranes both work the same, but I haven't tried the new one myself.
>
> MSI is the original maker of Nytran, which was then sold by S&S.  S&S and
> MSI had a falling-out (over prices, I think), and S&S found a new supplier
> for another membrane which they are still calling Nytran.  We tried the
> New Nytran briefly, and were not impressed.
>
> MSI is manufacturing and selling the original Nytran under the name Magna
> NT.  It seems comparable to the old product.
>
> Alden Hackmann
> Dept. of Pathology
> University of Washington (you know, the state in the upper left corner)
> darkstar at u.washington.edu

 I would just like to add my $0.02 worth... We use MSI membranes and
love them! mostly magnagraph for Northerns and Southerns. multiple
probing/strippings work great.  Although I have to admit that most of our
work is with radioactive probes.  A brief flirt with luminescence worked
well for Southerns but not Northerns.