Database search...

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Fri Jan 1 09:22:44 EST 1993

In <9301010746.AA15358 at net.bio.net> DTANG at VM1.SI.USHERB.CA (Denis Tang) writes:

>      I am looking for places where I can do FASTA or BLAST searches for
>proteins (is there another place than FASTA at EMBL-HEIDELBERG?).  Also, how can
>I get the PIR sequence numbered P1;S20314

If you have the mailfasta script you can do FASTA seaches in JAPAN and BLAST
searches from NCBI. There are quite a few scripts floating about for unix and
vms that take the ache out of submitting mail for searches. The one I have
running on our system is mailfasta from Thon De Boer. It is essential. Anyone
with a unixbox should have it. It does so much.

I have sent you the file. I retrieved it via gopher from Dan Davison's
gopher hole. If you do not have gopher on your system then use a public
access gopher. You will not regret it. Gopher is opening up the network
in ways that you would not have dreamed possible one year ago. You need it.

RGDS -=ROB=-
 ~ Rob Harper                    ~ E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
 ~ Finnish State Computer Centre ~ Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
 ~ P.O. Box 40                   ~ Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
 ~ SF-02101 Espoo Finland        ~ Fax:             +358 0 457 2302