Glycogen for DNA Precipitation

Stephanie Edelmann BIOSEE at UKCC.UKY.EDU
Fri Jan 8 14:26:06 EST 1993

In article <9301072225.AA18226 at net.bio.net>
KNECHT at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU (Dave Knecht) writes:

>I remember reading somewhere of people using glycogen as a carrier for precipit
>ation of DNA.  Can someone enlighten me as to a concentration to use, purity re
>quired and any pluses or minuses of this procedure that you have encountered? J
>Dave

We also must be using the Glycogen from Boehringer Mannheim.  Add 1ml to
the DNA in ethanol and spin.  Glycogen is supposed to be a volume excluder
(as far as I know), but we in our lab are convinced, that its main
effect is a psychological one.  After adding glycogen, you all a sudden
see a pellet.  That might be mostly glycogen, but it's a PELLET as oppose
to nothing visible.  We haven't noticed any negative effects, yet. I've
used it on DNA that was supposed to be cut, ligated, electrophoresed and
probably others.

Stephanie