Glycogen for DNA Precipitation

wetsel_r at wums.wustl.edu wetsel_r at wums.wustl.edu
Fri Jan 8 11:05:14 EST 1993

In a previous article, ashok at biochemistry.cwru.edu (Ashok Aiyar) wrote:
>In article <9301072225.AA18226 at net.bio.net> KNECHT at UCONNVM.UCONN.EDU (Dave Knecht) writes:
>
>>I remember reading somewhere of people using glycogen as a carrier for precipit
>>ation of DNA.  Can someone enlighten me as to a concentration to use, purity re
>>quired and any pluses or minuses of this procedure that you have encountered? J
>>Dave
>
>I feel awful about saying this, but I just buy this stuff called Molecular
>Biology Grade glycogen from Boehringer Mannheim.  I don't know the
>concentration, but add 1 ul of it to precipitations of any volume.  It works,
>and hasn't negatively interfered in any noticible may with any subsequent
>steps such as restriction digestion, ligation, or in vitro transcription with
>T7 RNA pol.
>
>Ashok
----
We use it also and again, we buy it from BMB.  The stuff we get is 20mgs/ml
and we often use 10 ug when precipitating PCR fragments in volumes much
over 500 ul and especially when preciping trough eluted fragments.  Without
looking it up (anyone feel free to correct...) I think the yeild of DNA in
a precip starts to fall off when total is much below 50-100 ng/ml.  The
addition of glycogen dramatically helps the yeild in DNA pptns when initial
concentration is low...

Best regards,

+  David L. Haviland, Ph.D.	     Internet:"haviland at kids.wustl.edu"   +
+  Washington Univ. School of Med.   A.K.A : The Compiler                 +
+  Dept. of Peds./Pulm. Box 8116     ICBM-Net : Just hit St. Louis        +
+  400 S. Kingshighway               &-6  <- User is Brain Dead...        +
+  St. Louis, MO  63110              FAX: 314-454-2476                    +
+  (314) 454-6076                                                         +
+          "Sometimes you have to stop and smell the pizza"               +