Dispersion of Agarose

RSCOTT at IRRI.CGNET.COM RSCOTT at IRRI.CGNET.COM
Sun Jan 10 06:08:49 EST 1993

I can't help cursing myself whenever I prepare agarose gels and
the suspension happens to overboil inside the microwave. At
certain equally irksome times (especially with bigger preparations)
the gel remained undispersed while considerable volume has already
been lost during heating. I always cover the boiling flask
with a beaker but this didn't do so much to prevent excessive
evaporation. I discovered a trick (perhaps I just rediscovered it on
my own) to avoid these pitfalls. I tried presoaking the gel overnight
at the eve of my gel run. Wholla! The agarose dispersed quicker in the
buffer. Dispersion took only about half the normal boiling time. By the
time vigorous boiling commences the agarose particles were substantially
dissolved. Volume loss is therefore minimized. Presoaking allows
the gel to swell and be hydrated. Alternatively, one can equilibrate
the gel suspension in a 55-650C bath (ca. 30 min) prior to boiling.
The same result is achieved. I think it's not much trouble having to
prepare the suspension well in advance and stand it for a while
especially if the gel consistency can be maintained for different
preparations of equal concentration.

R. P. Scott
Pathology Division
IRRI