Deionization of old acrylamide

Martin Kennedy cytogen at chmeds.ac.nz
Sat Jan 16 00:10:31 EST 1993

In article <1993Jan14.145228.77 at ntet.nctr.fda.gov>, wmelchior at ntet.nctr.fda.gov writes:
> In article <1j3k24INN9mk at huon.itd.adelaide.edu.au>,
> ajeffrie at waite.adelaide.edu.au (Alex Jeffries) gives his recipe for
> acrylamide of sequencing gels, and then asks:
>
>> Can I re-deionize an old (1 to 2 months) acrylamide stock solution by
>> simply repeating the amberlite step?
>>

> Bill Melchoir replied with an "insta-gel" recip, and states:
>
> I have used this solution when it's been over a year old, with no problems.

I use a very similar recipe to Bill's, although to polymerize I add 2ul of 25%
ammonium persulphate (fresh) and 2ul of TEMED for every ml of acrylamide mix.
I've also used the stock when it's been well over a year old, and I honestly
can't see much difference when compared to fresh gel mixes (perhaps bands at
the top of the sequencing gel do smear a little bit more, but I still get much
the same amount of reliable sequence off the gel).
-
Cheers,

Martin

Martin A Kennedy (E-mail = cytogen at chmeds.ac.nz)